Friday, May 7, 2010

Summer Employment

"Hold still, for goodness sake, let me see," my mother chastised me. "Well, not bad at all," she grinned, looking up and down my body with a critical eye. "What do you think?"


"I...I don't know about this, Mother, I mean...this isn't really what I thought you had in mind when you told me you found a summer job for me," I said, trying to smile enough to seem like I was not challenging her.


"I don't understand what the problem is," she crossed her arms. "You'll be making good money with tips."

"Well, Mother, I...most of the guys I know from the University are doing...um...other kinds of jobs. Landscaping, painting, construction..."


"Well of course, dear, those are the kind of things young men do when they are home from college for the summer."

"I...I guess that's what I thought I'd be doing," I said carefully, knowing that the irritation was showing on my face.


"Construction. You thought I'd find you a job in construction? Or landscaping? Sweetie, I really don't mean this to sound cruel, but those jobs are really difficult...lifting heavy things, moving things around...employers are looking for strong young men to do those jobs, not...not...I know you don't like the word...not sissies."

I backed up, caught the arm of the couch, sat, wounded.


"Oh, honey, I don't know why you get so upset when I call you that. I'm not name calling, I'm not even judging you. It's just a simple fact, sweetie, you've always been mummy's special little boy, mummy loves her sweet sissy boy."

"I just wish I was like the other guys sometimes," I pouted.

"What...hairy and smelly and gross? Darling, you're the sweetest, softest, prettiest, most delicate son a mother could want."


"Oh, mother," I smiled, blushing.

"I mean that darling. I know all your friends from college will be doing different things this summer, but please trust mummy, this is the perfect job for you...you should be careful with your customers, you'll find lots of creeps who just want to touch your pretty body, but who knows, you may just find some nice young man..."


"Mother!"

"I know, I know, you don't think you're ready to date yet, I'm just asking you to keep an open mind, sweetie. If you find a girl you like, I'm okay with that, I'm just saying you should not discount the possibility of a finding a man you like, that's all. There's nothing wrong with a pretty sissy dating a man in today's day and age."

"Fine, mother," I agreed, wishing to end this uncomfortable discussion, still afraid to admit that she was right, that I did find some men attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment